(Hed)P.E. Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview

Go down 
+4
MADMANNe
(anonymous)
(hed)
Lummel666
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lummel666
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
Lummel666

Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview Empty
PostSubject: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 9:03 am

Here is the interview I did with Live Urban Sexx Tribe guitarplayer Neel Viradia (On the right in the picture)

Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview 16868511

1. How did the band get started?

The band was formed by Jarred Shane (as he was known then) and Danny Axe (Sergio Cardenas).
They were together in a band called Hot Boxx. They left Hot Boxx and formed LUST. They then recruited Mark Young (now Mawk or Mcud I think?) on bass and Eric Hurwit on Drums.
They felt they needed a hard edgy lead guitarist to round out the line up.I answered their ad and sent them my demo and I got an audition. I jammed with them and improved some parts on the fly and they asked me to join on the spot..

2. Where did the name Live Urban Sexx Tribe come from?

Well either Jarred or Danny came up with it but they named the band Urban Sex Tribe. Since we were such a “live” act, Jarred added the word “Live” and an extra “X” in Sexx and hence the acronym, LUST

3. Were you in another band before?

Yes, I had been in several bands back east in New Jersey and Massachusetts. I played the east coast circuit and after I finished college at UMASS, I moved out to LA to go to Musician’s Institute, GIT for Guitar. I joined LUST two years after that.

4. We know Jared was in Hotboxx before LUST did you ever hear any of their music?

Yes, I heard some of their music back then. It was great stuff but then LUST took it to the next level. A few of the early LUST songs were unfinished Hotboxx songs. Such as “The world we live in” One of my all time favorite LUST songs….Amazing lyrics!

5. How many songs did you guys have, how much were recorded? Any songtitles of unreleased songs? Did you play any covers?

We probably had around 25 or 30 songs. Most of which were never recorded. Only some live recordings and rehearsal tapes which I have yet to track down. We used to jam covers from Rage against the machine, Parliament, Faith no More, various metal bands and funk bands. But we never played any live as far as I can recall.

6. What was the songwriting process like? Who did what? Which bands inspired you back then?

Jarred wrote all of the lyrics. Occasionally we would chime in when he asked us for rhyming words or lyric ideas. He also was a big part of the music writing process even though he didn’t play an instrument in that band. He had a great musical ear. Danny would usually come up with a funky riff or Mark would come up with a banging bass line or I would have a rockin guitar riff. Then we would all collaborate and write around the idea. We would keep fine tuning until it was where we felt it was right. I had a knack for arrangements, so there would always be some cool break or teaser chorus, half verse thing that I would propose. Jarred pretty much decided the final decision at the end.

7. Being an up and coming band in that time and place must have been pretty crazy, do you have any cool tour stories to share?

There are a lot of interesting stories from many various gigs. But I may get some angry phone calls if I let out that info, haha. Let’s just say lots of sex, booze and rock & roll. We were never into the drug thing except 3 of us were major pot heads…Including me. Lemmy from Motorhead used to come to a lot of our shows. He would play pinball or video games backstage drink Jack and cokes and he had really bad breath. But we love him!

8. How were the other members in the band to work with?

When the times were good, it was great. There was a chemistry and magic. We used to hang out together and work together. When we got signed it all fell apart. Lot of internal fighting. Bad decision making and bitterness. It wasn’t pretty.

9. How long did the band exist, how did the break-up happen?

I think we were together for about 4 years or so. We got a development deal with Warner Bros. thru Brian Christian who produced Peter Gabriel, Alice Cooper and many other artists. He also engineered the Wall by Pink Floyd. Brian spent 3 months in rehearsals with us getting us into a well oiled machine. We did some shows and showcased some new great songs such as “suicide” and “Another Day” and we went from great to amazing. We were untouchable after that. There was no better band on the circuit. We recorded our record with Brian over the next few months at Westlake studios in Hollywood (Van Halen, Janet Jackson, U2, everyone recorded there). But we were naive with contract negotiations and had an inexperienced manager who was a DJ for KNAC. So Jarred made some poor decisions for the band and it led to a lot of problems in the signing process. He felt like WB was trying to screw us when we really just needed a professional negotiator or manager. So when Jarred broke off the deal with WB and BC without telling the band members, it was the beginning of the end. We never got a copy of our own record. We owned the music but not the master reels of the recordings. However thanks to you Roel we recovered 6 of the songs from the album after 16 years. Anyway, getting back to that story, Jarred broke ties with Brian Christian and Warner Bros. Most of the band didn’t agree but we acquiesced and ended up doing a demo with a producer named Michael Vail Blum who was referred to us by Robert Trujillo (bassist for Infectious Grooves, Suicidal Tendencies, and now Metallica). Robert was really into us and hooked us up with Michael VB. But Michael didn’t really know us as well as Brian and failed to capture our live feel in the studio. I think I sent you that demo Roel. It has one of my favorite songs called “Another Day” the lyrics are sad and really hold true today about what we could have been. Anyway, after that demo didn’t come out so well it really caused strain in the LUST camp. We argued at every practice, disagreed at every gig and it was really tough. During that time there was a band called Liquid Tree that used to open for us. Nice guys and decent sound but nowhere near the talent of the LUST guys. None the less Jarred grabbed Mark and secretly formed a new band with 3 of them and basically broke up LUST in one day. That was the formation of Hed PE. No disrespect to HED but Jarred knows deep down inside that LUST would have been way more successful. Anyone who has seen both bands live and heard the music in that time will say the same thing. I guess Jarred felt stagnant and tired of the LUST thing and he needed a change. But it was a life changing decision for all of us because we were at the doorstep of greatness. If we had just let the album get released with WB he could have formed Hed after that and even they would have been bigger. and we all could have had much bigger opportunities to play with signed bands. But youth brings inexperience and mistakes. And LUST made all the mistakes a band could make.

10. Are you still on speaking terms with any of the members?

Yeah I still talk with Danny and recently connected with Eric again. I haven’t spoken to Jarred or Mark in years. They are doing their HedPE thing. There was a lot of resentment and bad blood between us. I don’t have any ill will towards them but I am resentful that we put in so much time and effort and the door to fame was opened for us and Jarred just threw it in the trash.

11. What are you up to now? Do you still play music, ever try playing a LUST song?

Yes, I currently play in a band called Siris and also do a lot of studio and live guitar work for different artists ranging from rock to hip hop. I still know how to play all my LUST parts. Even the guitar solos lol. Once I hear the songs again it comes back fast like riding a bike.

12. Did you follow (hed)p.e.'s carreer at all over the years, what do you think of them?

Not really. I’ve listened to bits of their stuff from the early days to now. I think some of their new stuff is pretty good. But none of it holds a candle to the LUST stuff. No disrespect but its true.
The caliber of musicianship in LUST is way beyond any of the HedPE guys except Mark. He was the LUST bass player and he is incredible. But Eric (drummer for LUST) is hands down the best drummer I have ever played with and I’ve played with some greats. Not many drummers come close to him. And I feel I’m a much better guitarist than any of the guys in Hed. Danny Axe was the funkiest and wrote funkier, catchier guitar riffs than anyone.

13. Jared's age seems to be kind of a mystery, do you know how old he is?

I do know how old he is but I’m not one to blow someone’s cover haha. This is a business where image and youth is important. He has his thing going with Hed so I don’t want to create any drama for him. Even though I think he is a self centered buffoon. Let’s just say that he looks great for his age and that there were no cell phones when LUST was around.

14. What are the plans for LUST? You said you want to put the songs on itunes can we expect any more?

Yeah, even though I don’t get along with Jarred, he is still a part of it. So any money made from the LUST stuff would have to be split evenly between all 5 members. I’m in the process of trying to contact him and Mark to let them know that a LUST album will be released and that they are on the copyright as founding members. Eric and Danny are already on board. If there is a demand for a tour then I wouldn’t have a problem playing again with any of them however I doubt Jarred and Mark will because of Hed. However, we can probably get replacements. Danny and Eric are still as good as ever on their instruments and are open to doing some shows. Let’s first see if there is even a demand for that music. It is a bit out dated you know. haha

15. You mentioned to me earlier there might be some footage of the band playing live, will that ever see the light of day?

There are a few people who have video of LUST shows at the Troubadour. I have been pestering them to go into their attic and find the tapes. I’m hoping one day soon that they will. If the music sells on Itunes and we get a new following, I have a feeling it will all fall into place.

Thanks for your time!

Thank you Roel. And you should let everyone know that none of this could have been possible without your efforts of tracking down Brian Christian for us after all these years. Cheers!

Neel's answer to us talking here:

LUST only had one recorded record. However we had enough material for 3 or 4 records. Had we been together for 15 years just as HED has, then LUST's music would have grown and evolved since the guys were amazing writers and musicians much like HED's guys and other great bands with longevity. However LUST's music was much more marketable than HED's and would have found a bigger audience, therefore would have been more successful.

If you look at HED's first album vs. LUST's. I feel the LUST record was better. I know it's a different style of music but it would have sold more copies than HED. Hence the fact HED is still a small underground band with a loyal following. LUST would not have been underground. They would have broken through, and LUST's live shows were the talk of the town.

It's hard for people to speculate anything however unless you were there during that time when fans, club owners, celebrities, and many major musician's from other famous bands all said that LUST was ahead of it's tiime and was on the virge of being the next biggest band in the country.

LUST never got it's moment. The time and prep that went into LUST for 4 years was more detailed then the time it took to write and release HED's first 2 records and it seemed to be evident in the material."

Last edited by Lummel666 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://roelvanrossum2.wixsite.com/liveurbansexxtribe
(hed)
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
(hed)

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 am

great interview!
Back to top Go down
(anonymous)
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 12:03 pm

(hed) wrote:
great interview!

Very intersting, thanx! Smile

I must say I'm quite impressed by the fact that Lemmy liked LUST music and hung out with them, Motorhead is an awesome band and one of my favorites.

However, I can't agree with the opinion that Hed is worse than LUST, I think these are different music styles and therefore it's impossible to compare them.
Back to top Go down
MADMANNe
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
MADMANNe

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 1:35 pm

wow great interview!! So lummel im just curios how come u are in contact with these dudes?

Very interesting to read about how serius a band they were and all the shit that went down! I gotta agree its a shame they never got a fair chance cuz their songs and style rock!

The first thing i thought when i heard LUST was "how does a band go from THIS to hed" its such a haulover. But also like anonymous said they're two different styles and hard to compare.

Oh and also it would be friggin awesome if they got the LUST gang togheter and went on tour! that im totally down with more than the old hed lineup.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/madmanne1
Catar4x
(hed) Souljah
(hed) Souljah

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks a lot for this interview Lummel666 !! Smile

The album on iTunes will contain how many tracks ?
Back to top Go down
Srh (hed)pe586
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
Srh (hed)pe586

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:03 am

so let me get this straight, this dude thinks he's early 90's glam rock band would do better then hed pe? Get the fuck outta here. It sounds like this dude is living in the past and is jealous, and jared is selling albums, and booking national shows.
Back to top Go down
Lummel666
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
Lummel666

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 5:55 am

No, he thinks they could have been big back then in '93/'94 and that being the time of GN'R, Nirvana, Red Hot chili peppers & Rage I think he's right! I still think the songs are great but you have to see them in their time.
@ Catar4x I think it will be the 6 songs that are on youtube.
@ MADMANNe It started out by just googleing LUST hahaha!
Back to top Go down
MADMANNe
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
MADMANNe

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Lol okay cool! dedication man! That lust guy must think its pretty cool you looked em up : ).

Back to top Go down
Srh (hed)pe586
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
Srh (hed)pe586

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 3:24 pm

MADMANNe wrote:
Lol okay cool! dedication man! That lust guy must think its pretty cool you looked em up : ).

that guy probably goes to bed every night regretting what jahred did to him. and outta those bands dude mention, rage is the only good one.
Back to top Go down
MADMANNe
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
MADMANNe

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Naaah man i like all those bands. Gnr arent really my style but i cannot diss them they have some good songs and are a classic band. Nirvana is the shit! Rhcp is the shit! Rage ofcourse is the motherfucking shit!
Back to top Go down
Lummel666
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
Lummel666

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Well that wasn't even my point, I just mean if you look at the music that was popular then (like 'em or not) they would have fit right in and could have made it big. Too bad they didn't get a fair chance, but cool we can hear the music now and if you don't like it just don't listen to it right?
Back to top Go down
(hed)
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
(hed)

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Seems like Viradia meant that just because the LUST people were more "skilled" musicians, educated and what not, that made the band better.
From what I have experienced that's almost never true. Lots of bands and players get too into their skills, technicality and so on that they forget the vibe and can't find the it factor or momentum. It's like all the symphonic rock and metal bands as well as the progressive stuff. Sure they are good musicians, but that doesn't make the songs any better.
Back to top Go down
MADMANNe
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
MADMANNe

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 11:59 pm

@(hed) Yeah too some extent that is true. although i know some people simply enjoy listening to the technical stuff and get bored with too simple stuff. Like always a matter of taste. I am somewhere inbetween. Sometimes the more talented musicans plus great songs make for a great experience. sometimes you just need to spend a little more effort listening to it to understand it i think!

And sometimes its just tecnique masturbation and that sucks!

But listening to bands like Deep purple i think is great. They do sometimes have long solos that ppl find boring but i really enjoy it and i think they have great songs! Space trucking, highway star, smoke on the water mmmmm!
Back to top Go down
Srh (hed)pe586
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
Srh (hed)pe586

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 am

MADMANNe wrote:
@(hed) Yeah too some extent that is true. although i know some people simply enjoy listening to the technical stuff and get bored with too simple stuff. Like always a matter of taste. I am somewhere inbetween. Sometimes the more talented musicans plus great songs make for a great experience. sometimes you just need to spend a little more effort listening to it to understand it i think!

And sometimes its just tecnique masturbation and that sucks!

But listening to bands like Deep purple i think is great. They do sometimes have long solos that ppl find boring but i really enjoy it and i think they have great songs! Space trucking, highway star, smoke on the water mmmmm!
Back to top Go down
geduliss
(hed) Souljah
(hed) Souljah
geduliss

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm

great interview Smile
i didn't know Mawk was in it too!

And i agree that he was talking about musicians from the technical point of view! He's a pro, thats what he does Smile

Back to top Go down
Lummel666
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
Lummel666

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Neel has been reading us discussing the interview here, I added what he had to say to the first post.
Back to top Go down
geduliss
(hed) Souljah
(hed) Souljah
geduliss

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 am

some parts of the music sound a bit like Shootyz Groove, early records!
Back to top Go down
SmokeDogg
Renegade
Renegade
SmokeDogg

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Really cool interview.Big thanks to Lummel666 and Neel.Wish LUST all the best in the future.

Also in that picture is it just me or does Jah come off lookin like a Rick James type of mothafucker and Mawk kinda looks like Axl Rose.
Back to top Go down
Lummel666
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
Lummel666

PostSubject: Re: Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview   Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Hahaha! I'm Rick James bitch!
Back to top Go down

Live Urban Sexx Tribe's Neel Viradia Interview
Page 1 of 1