(Hed)P.E. Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

my Forever!(2016) review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chizase2012
(hed) Souljah
(hed) Souljah
Chizase2012

my Forever!(2016) review Empty
PostSubject: my Forever!(2016) review   my Forever!(2016) review EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 1:58 am

So 2014 saw the release of (hed) p.e.'s ninth album "Evolution", which proved to be worth the wait as (hed) p.e. gave us their most focused record in a while. After the album's release, (hed) p.e. would continue to tour and stuff. Then in 2015, something happened: Bassist and founding member Mawk left the band along with longtime guitarist Jackson making vocalist Jared now the only original member of (hed) p.e. Kurt Blankenship was recruited as the new bass player and Greg Harrison was recruited as the new guitar player. Then July 2016 saw the release of (hed) p.e.'s tenth album "Forever!" and now the question was "even without Mawk or Jackson's involvement, was the album still good?" the answer is "yes it is" and let's find out why as I review the album track-by-track(*not including hidden or bonus tracks*).

1. Liv!
Thankfully the albim starts off promising with a rap rock track where I get an old school (hed) vibe. Greg's guitar playing also serves the song nicely along with the marching band like drums. Jared is just on fire in this track making it a good way to open the album
Rating:4/5

2. Pay Me
The first official single from the album and what a great choice because it's also my favorite track on the album. A headbangable rap metal track with good lyrics, well-rapped verses, and an insanely catchy chorus. I usually don't like it when they throw samples into their tracks, but for some reason the sample in this song worked. Awesome track and probably (hed)'s best single in a long while.
Rating:4.5/5

3. Closer
I like the verses and get sort of a Skindred vibe from them, but the song is brought down by a really lackluster chorus. Fair overall, but could've been better.
Rating:3.5/5

4. Hurt
Now we get a "violent" sex song from (hed) p.e. but it's actually good because 1) the lyrics aren't so over the top and 2) the song has a pretty unique arrangement and we also get a feel for Jared's vocal range throughout. I especially love the stuttering guitar effects in the bridge. Good song.

5. It's You
Generic rock track with reggae influence. I can appreciate the lyrics as Jared obviously wrote this song for his wife. Decent.
Rating:3/5

6. Waste
Short but sweet hardcore punk track with vocals and lyrics from Jared and even has a cool reggae-like outro. This is probably the best short punk track (hed) has ever done.
Rating:4.5/5

7. Jah Know
A good heavy track with reggae influence that Jared obviously wrote for his son. Verses are good but could be sung better and the chorus is good to.

8. One Of A Kind
A song that should please any fans of (hed)'s Subnoize stuff as it has a "Game Over" like song structure. I actually like the reggae verses though some of the lyrics could be written better, but the heavy chorus seems a little out of place, Jared also brings back his screechy vocals in the chorus, but they sound like they are mixed better.

9. The Higher Crown
Just a trippy intro track. Nothing special.
Rating:2.5/5

10. Shadowridge
Now for a straight up reggae track with hip-hop influence. I actually enjoy the song musically and the R&B like chorus isn't bad. But there are a couple of moments that feel out of place. It should be noted that this is a cheesy sex song, but it's actually decent.
Rating:3/5

11. Together
Good reggae track, I like the chorus.

12. Always
Another reggae song. Not a big fan of the verses, the song is good musically and the chorus is somewhat decent making it a fair way to close the album.

Overall, I would say that "Forever!" is just as good as, if not better than "Evolution", it's certainly more diverse than "Evolution." Probably my main problem with this album is that it is structured like "Evolution", meaning the first 8 tracks being metal/punk/hip-hop followed by a trippy interlude and the the last 3 tracks being straight-up reggae. Still though, another good and focused effort from the band.

OVERAALL RATING: 7.5/10

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pcm1991
Chizase2012
(hed) Souljah
(hed) Souljah
Chizase2012

my Forever!(2016) review Empty
PostSubject: Re: my Forever!(2016) review   my Forever!(2016) review EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 2:00 am

Sorry it took me SO LONG to write a review for this album, I just figured with the new album approaching, I might as well post reviews of the albums I haven't reviewed yet. Now stay tuned for my review of Stampede.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pcm1991

my Forever!(2016) review
Page 1 of 1