(Hed)P.E. Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Countdown to Forever! New World Orphans(2009) review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chizase2012
(hed) Souljah
(hed) Souljah
Chizase2012

Countdown to Forever! New World Orphans(2009) review Empty
PostSubject: Countdown to Forever! New World Orphans(2009) review   Countdown to Forever! New World Orphans(2009) review EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 5:18 pm

(hed)p.e.-"New World Orphans"(2009) review

Following the release of "Insomnia", (hed)p.e. would continue to make a name for themselves in the world of underground music first by supporting Tech N9ne and the Kottonmouth Kings on the Strange Noize tour and with this, (hed)'s underground fan base would continue to grow gaining support from Juggalos and Subnoize Rats, (hed) would then continue to tour with underground artists and by the summer of 2008, (hed) would release their first ever live CD/DVD compilation "The D.I.Y. Guys", with the DVD portion containing a mockumentary, music videos, and a live performance, while the CD portion contained live songs, b-sides, and 4 new tracks from the band's upcoming album "New World Orphans." For me, the DVD portion was very disappointing but the CD portion made the new album sound quite promising. By the end of 2008 after recording the album, drummer Tiny Bubz left the band to rejoin TSOL and he was soon replaced by Jeremiah "Trauma" Stratton. In early 2009, "New World Orphans" was released with the brilliant marketing strategy of having 3 different album covers each with different bonus tracks, but since I don't review bonus tracks, I will be reviewing the official version(tri-colored version) without the bonus tracks which came out in late 2009. So is "New World Orphans" as good as it was hyped up to be? Let's find out as I review this album track-by-track(*not including hidden or bonus tracks*)

1. New World Intro
Just a sample about the Illuminati, New World Order, etc. and is actually good build-up into the next track.

2. Live Or Die Free
A punk track that kicks off with fast rapping from Jared which leads into a catchy chorus, but then the track is brought down by Jared's screechy vocals. Overall, a decent way to start the album.
Rating: 3/5

3. Bloodfire
One of the tracks used to promote the album on "The D.I.Y. Guys" CD portion and was actually my favorite track on the CD portion. An awesome hip-hop influenced hardcore punk track where Jared lets out a nice high pitched scream in the chorus. Jaxon's guitar playing on the track is awesome and the end of the of the track will probably have you headbanging. One of my favorite tracks on the album and one of the better political songs they have done.
Rating: 4.5/5

4. Ordo(AB Chao)
The song used to promote "The D.I.Y. Guys" CD/DVD compilation and I loved the song when I first heard it, and then when I heard the album version, I loved it even more, one of the main reasons being they throw a melodica into the verses this time. An awesome Illuminati inspired song with nicely done reggae verses that lead into a well done heavy and memorable chorus, but what makes this song so awesome is Jared's vocal range from punky shouting to reggae vocals to death growls to high-pitched yelling, one of those songs that just shows off his impressive vocal range and one of the album's best tracks.

5. Stay Ready(feat. The Dirtball)
Now we here some rap rock from (hed)p.e., a great anarchy driven rap rock track with punk influence where Jared's rapping and lyrics flow very well with the fast music in the verses, the same could be said about the featured guest Subnoize rapper The Dirtball, who proves to be one of the better rappers on that label. A great track and easily the best collaboration (hed) has done with a Subnoize artist, though I will admit that the chorus could've been a little better.
Rating: 4/5

6. Family
A song that follows the "Game Over" formula, hip-hop verses that build up into a punk chorus. A song where Jared raps about what the band is all about(conspiracy theories, being up on things, representing the family, etc.). The verses are okay, but I find the chorus to be simple and out of place. Average track overall.
Rating: 2.5/5

7. Stepping Stone
A song that is actually well structured. The song features a nicely played melodica that Jared's rapping actually flows well with that builds up into an okay punk chorus. The lyrics range from being disturbing to straight-up hilarious where Jared raps about being pissed off at an untrustworthy woman and also goes off on other subjects as well. Decent track overall.

8. Renegade
Here it is, the first official single and best song on the whole album. An awesome punk influenced rap metal track with a well sung memorable chorus that is just fun to sing along to, even if I could've done without Jared's screechy vocals in the verses, that really doesn't matter because it's still a well made song and in my opinion, (hed)'s best single of the post-Jive era.

9. Everything All The Time
A track that is strong musically, an industrial influenced track with weird and eerie verses and Jared sounds straight-up evil giving the track a dark feel that builds up into a weird punk chorus. But lyrically, I have to ask what's with the violent sex songs? The track is much better than "Mirrorballin'" no doubt, but the lyrics make this an average track for me.

10. Mortgage Crisis Intro
A sample about the economic crisis plaguing the United States at the time. Good build-up into the next track.

11. Middle Class Blues
Originally titled "War On The Middle Class" on "The D.I.Y. Guys" CD portion. A nice short punk track about how the economy is making it hard for the middle class to live. Even if Jared's vocals could be better, the song has a catchy chorus and a good message, which is all you need in a short punk track. Great song.

12. Flesh And Blood
A punk track that sounds very Dead Kennedys influenced especially in the chorus, despite the simplicity of the lyrics in the verses, they feature a nicely played melodica along with some cool basslines from Mawk making the track kinda enjoyable, but for me what brings the song down is the very long sample at the end and at this point, I'm growing sick of the samples.
Rating: 3.5/5

13. Nibiru Intro
Another sample track of a radio signal going on in outer space. Good build up into the next track.

14. Planet X
A very uniquely structured track with a death metal like chorus where Jared lets out a nice death growl with some nice double bass drumming from Tiny with surfer punk influenced verses that contain lyrics that are out there. The song also has a cool headbangable bridge. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

15. Higher Ground(feat. Kottonmouth Kings)
A more hip-hop driven track with a nice beat in the verses, Jared raps the first verse and kills it with his cool flow, but then the song is brought down by the Kottonmouth Kings whose verses offer nothing special. Plus, the punk chorus seems really out of place and feels really simple and Daddy X's voice in the chorus just annoys the crap out of me. Average.

16. A Soldier's Intro
A sample track where a soldier vents his frustration with the United States' foreign policy and how he feels his time in Baghdad is starting to become pointless. Good build up into the next track.

17. Tow The Line
A song for the soldiers. A decent punk track with a catchy celtic punk influenced chorus that reminds me of something from Dropkick Murphys. While the lyrics in the verses and even in the bridge may seem poorly written at times, I respect the song's message. Like I said, decent.

18. Self Aware
A more alternative metal track that sounds very Deftones influenced in the soft sounding verses, but Jared is no Chino Moreno lyrically or vocally that's for sure which builds up into a heavy bridge which is just decent. A somewhat enjoyable track, I just wish some of the lyrics were written better and I also wish the song was longer.
Rating: 3.5/5

19. Lost History Intro
Just another sample track, can't help but feel like it was just thrown in the album just so it could have at least 20 tracks.

20. This Love
The beat of this song was originally an instrumental track titled "Real Talk" on "The D.I.Y Guys" CD portion. They have taken the track and have turned into a great hip-hop soul song. Jared delivers some nicely done rapping in the verses which builds up into a nicely done R&B like chorus. The song just has that "feel good" feeling to it and there is some nice acoustic guitar playing from Jaxon to close out the song.

21. Here And Now
A song that was made for the official version of "New World Orphans" and also the first song recorded with new drummer Trauma and while I feel like "This Love" would have been a great way to close the album, this song is a very average way to close the album. It's basically a bad version of "Renegade" as it has a very similar structure, but this song sounds very rushed lyrically and musically, Jared also doesn't sound very inspired with his vocals either, but it does have a cool bridge. Overall, average and probably the weakest track on the album.

Overall, we just have to accept the fact that this is not the same (hed)p.e. that made self-titled, Broke, and Blackout. With that being said, "New World Orphans" is not as good as I was expecting it to be, but it is an enjoyable album and a definite improvement over "Insomnia." While it does have the genre mish-mashing style heard on "Insomnia", this album has much better production, sounds more focused, and has a better balance of songs while "Insomnia" felt really disjointed. While "New World Orphans" does offer creative music, it just doesn't offer much creative lyrically or the unique sound that made me fall in love (hed) as heard on the first 3 albums. But still, an enjoyable album and one of (hed)'s better indie albums.

OVERALL RATING: 6.5/10

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pcm1991
hed_2012
Born 2 Ride
Born 2 Ride
hed_2012

Countdown to Forever! New World Orphans(2009) review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Countdown to Forever! New World Orphans(2009) review   Countdown to Forever! New World Orphans(2009) review EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 10:12 am

Everything All the Time at a 2.5??? How dare you...Hahaha, one of (hed)s most under appreciated songs. Catchiest chorus and so beautifully creepy.

Bit harsh on Stepping Stone too! Great flows.

NWO was the only album that came close to kicking butt again for me post B2BX. I dug this album.

Thanks man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hed2012

Countdown to Forever! New World Orphans(2009) review
Page 1 of 1